The CEEDs project has one overarching objective which is to develop and deploy a novel confluent synthetic reality technology for the exploration of massive datasets that exploits both unaware/implicit/involuntary and aware/explicit/voluntary factors to optimize discovery, creativity and understanding. In order to achieve this goal CEEDs will pursue a number of specific objectives:
- Theory of the role of implicit and explicit processing in the generation of the stream of consciousness and discovery. Generate theoretical and experimental knowledge on explicit and implicit cues and states and their role in creating a unified experience in real and mixed reality environments. Provide the foundation on which the computational model, or the CEEDs Sentient Agent will be based.
- The development of a novel integrated wearable sensing and actuation system, Body Machine Interface, that will provide for a multitude of implicit and explicit interfaces to the CEEDs engine. New integrated wearable technologies for confluence applications. This multi-modal BMI system will provide a high capacity bi-directional multi-modal interface between the CEEDs systems and the users. The functionality of the BMI system will be augmented by real-time physiology and speech interfaces.
- The development of a model of consciousness and its application to the CEEDs Sentient Agent, a real-world model of consciousness that will guide the user in their exploration of complex data sets. An integrated model of enactive real-world consciousness that encompasses multiple levels of sensory processing and integration, learning and memory, planning and action execution. Core elements of the models are directly implementing key assumptions of the CEEDs GEPE model. The CSA is thus both an explanatory model of consciousness and a technological innovation
- Design, develop and test tools and methods for the implicit and explicit interactions with high dimensional data sets. The deployment of advanced multi-modal (visual, sonic and haptic) composition and rendering systems. New integrated technologies for the delivery of synthetic reality. In particular this objective will render the unique CXIM mixed reality system with its interfaces to CAE and BMI and its portable version. Combined with these systems will be a highly advanced system for data mining, processing and controlled content delivery through composition systems.
- The deployment of a novel architecture for distributed synthetic reality applications combined. Building up a well tested framework for distributed robotics, novel architecture for VR amd MR will de developed.
- A low-cost portable version of CXIM A new portable low cost synthetic reality system for a wide-range of confluent applications. The portable system is a prototype of how CEEDs envisions the future large-scale delivery and dissemination of synthetic reality. The portable CXIM system will support a number of the project partners and members of the interest groups.
- Develop and test methods for individual and collective confluence experiences in the context of discovery. The theoretical predictions of the CEEDs paradigm will be tested under varying conditions. CEEDs will develop and validate novel methods for the design, control, delivery and validation of confluent systems. In particular CEEDs will advance the technology to strengthening collective creative applications
- Validation of the CEEDs technology in a number of data rich domains including: Astrophysics, Neuroscience, Archaeology, History and Commerce CEEDs will validate its approach with large-scale tests with different user groups. This will facilitate the identification of the domain specific and invariant aspects of the CEEDs paradigm. These tests will be developed in a user-centred framework starting with use case definitions and subsequent benchmarking and testing.
- A test battery of quantitative and qualitative approaches and measures for designing for confluence, for its dissemination and for measuring its impact. Confluence and its specific form in CEEDs is breaking new ground in the shaping of human experience. Hence, this requires the development of dedicated set of tools for assessment and design. CEEDs will develop these tools in dedicated controlled and open ended conditions. In addition, CEEDs will assure that these human experience enhancing methods and technologies will receive a wide dissemination to all potential stake holders.